Google+

Jack Kirby's Nightmare Whisperer meets "The Girl in the Grave!"

The Strange World of Your Dreams cover #2

From 1952's The Secret World of Your Dreams #2 comes another case from the files of Jack Kirby's very own psychoanalytic dream detective, Richard Temple. This time he meets a drowning girl in a local diner...

The Girl in The Grave Strange World of Your Dreams 02 Prize Comic Book scan by Jack Kirby splash panel

This girl's up to her neck in trouble!

 The Girl in The Grave woman dreams of drowning nightmare psychoanalysis comics by Jack Kirby

Hanging out in spooky graveyards..

The Girl in The Grave sleepwalking woman in a graveyard nightmare psychoanalysis comics by Jack Kirby

(Don't be scared...there's a happy ending!)

Here's the whole sordid tale:

The Secret World of Your Dreams 03

Click on any comic page to open up
a nice BIG hi-res comic book scan!

The Secret World of Your Dreams 04 The Secret World of Your Dreams 05

The Secret World of Your Dreams 06 The Secret World of Your Dreams 07

See? I told you there was a happy ending!

Girl in The Grave woman kisses man in a diner nightmare psychoanalysis comics by Jack Kirby

Here's a bonus dream from the readers:

The Secret World of Your Dreams 08

The Secret World of Your Dreams 09

Pleasant dreams....

11 comments:

Mike Lynch said...

Thanks. I love comics like this.

Sherm said...

Hi Mike...glad you like 'em! I'm gonna spend some time this weekend getting a couple more dream stories ready to post.

Chuck Wells said...

Good deal, Sherm. I'll be watching for them, too.

Marc Deckter said...

Cool comic! I've never seen that one before.

Say, did you see what Fantagraphics will be releasing in the future?

Sherm said...

Hey Marc...thanks for the heads-up on that Herriman book. It's almost too painful to wait for. I've been dreaming of a Stumble Inn collection for ages. I donated a stack of Stumble Inn originals (after I scanned them) to the AHAA a few months ago, so be sure to check them out if you haven't already ^_^

Marc Deckter said...

It's almost too painful to wait for.

I couldn't agree more.

More treasures at the archive! - I'll have to take a look at your strips my next visit for sure. So many comics to look at, so little time...

Ger Apeldoorn said...

Hi, the bonus dream is drawn by MacCarty, by the way. A prolific arist who did a lot of work for a lot of companies in the early fifties.

Sherm said...

Ger -- Thanks a lot for the info on the mystery artist! I might just ask your opinion before I post the next uncredited story. Good eye ^_^

Anonymous said...

THANKS! I have been searching high and low for info about Richard Temple since I was a kid. (i'm 37 now)I've always been into comic books but when I was about 12 I fell in love with horror comics. EC reprints and Marvel and DC and a few independants. I used to LOVE RT stories. But unable to find any info on him I started to think HE was a dream! Thanks,this blog has brought back a lot of good memories and taken my mind off of my root canal! :)

Crimson said...

"The heavy black stroke on cartoon characters' knees and elbows often describes coiled-up action rather than anything literal."

I've seen that before worded a little differently, I'm tempted to blame Vincent Waller since I vaguely recall it having some connection to Spongebob, but it may also have been you. It's such a strange statement...

And I do mean. I am calling shenanigans unless you can show a few examples (even one would be surprising, but not evidence of any meaningful trend). I've not seen one, and I've been looking for awhile (across a broad selection of classic cartoons & comics).

Far as I can tell, putting heavy linework anywhere that doesn't correspond to light and volume (especially on a cartoon style character) is a bad, downright non-functional idea. But I'm game to be proven wrong.

Crimson said...

Sorry, please disregard this -- I just forgot to tick "subscribe" on the previous comment.

Honestly hoping for a response, because that's been bugging me for ages.