Google+

Spring Cover for SpongeBob Magazine

SpongeBob and Patrick jumping and bouncing on springs Magazine cover painting by Sherm Cohen  
This cover for SpongeBob SquarePants Magazine ran last spring (see, “spring?” Get it? ahem.). Drawing in pencil and Photoshop. Inked in Adobe Illustrator. Painted in ArtRage 2.5 except the background elements which I stole borrowed from old production backgrounds. Usually I paint every background from scratch, but I was in a real deadline crunch. Below are a whole bunch of preliminary sketches and layouts…

 SpongeBob and Patrick jumping and bouncing on springs SpongeBob_Magazine-Rough
pencil sketch of Squidward yelling at SpongeBob jumping and bouncing on springs
 pencil sketch of SpongeBob jumping and bouncing on springs  pencil sketch of SpongeBob jumping and bouncing on springs magazine-cover--sketch-04-sherm-cohen
spongebob-spring-magazine-cover--sketch-01-sherm-cohen
pencil sketch of SpongeBob jumping and bouncing on springs
pencil sketch of SpongeBob jumping and bouncing on springs
    SpongeBob and Patrick jumping and bouncing on springs

6 comments:

Jordan said...

Sherm, you are the man! I haven't made a comment for months now (sorry!), but I've been checking out all your posts in my RSS feeder all the time. Just wanted to say thanks again for again sharing & I love seeing your process with the spongebob stuff!

Mykal Banta said...

Sherm: Mighty fine work, sir! Love the shading on Bob's sleeve. -- Mykal

amy beth said...

you did a great job!

Sherm said...

Jordan...Thanks for the nice words ^_^

Mykal..Thanks! But...the sleeve?

Amy beth...thank you very much ^_^

Mykal Banta said...

Sherm: Sorry. His little shirt over his arm up near his shoulder. -- Mykal

Sherm said...

Mykal: Oh! Okay...the problem was that I was that on my poorly-calibrated too-bright monitor I couldn't even see the shading you're talking about. That's what my confusion was. I certainly didn't mean to belittle such a nice compliment. Thank you! :)